Don’t say I never gave you anything.
I think I mentioned a while ago on here that in the crazy camera auction hedonism of the past summer, one of the things I managed to score was a big box of photo paper. It was a big, open, cardboard box filled with what looked to be sheets and sheets of unexposed photo paper. I was the only person with any interest in it, since obviously the paper had been exposed to the light and wasn’t good for printing anymore (also, there was no notes as to what type of paper it was anyway). But, of course, since I know you can make lumen prints with even the most fogged and badly stored photo papers, the box wound up coming home with me. I made a few test lumens just to see if the paper worked (it did), and then I shoved the rest inside a black garbage bag.
Fast forward to today, when I decide to try making some lumen prints using paper larger than 8×10. I remembered that some of the exposed box paper was 11×14, so I stuck my hand inside the garbage bag, and pulled out… a naked woman. That hasn’t happened to me since Vegas!
So, yeah, apparently in this big stack of photo paper (which was standing upright at the auction, not flat), there’s a bunch of already processed prints, about half of which are nude pictures. I know I didn’t think to flip through the paper at the auction, mainly because I didn’t want to expose more of the photo paper to the light than already was showing, but it’s kind of funny that no one else, at least that I saw, did either.
Anyway, I’ll be keeping the naked pics off the intertubes, except for maybe one of them, just because that one is a combo of making an enlargement of a negative and also making a photogram. It’s kind of neat. If I upload that, I’ll censor out the model’s face and naughty bits, though.
Here’s another photo from the same batch. The model in this photo is not the same as the model in the nude pics, fyi.
Some of the (non-nude) prints were done on a really odd paper. It actually feels more fabric than paper, so I’m wondering if it’s maybe linen based. Unfortunately, since these photos are larger than my scanner, I’ll only be able to scan in a cropped image.
I’m also in the middle of doing an inventory of photographic paper stash. I have a huge amount of it, and besides a few boxes of new stuff, almost everything is from the 1940s-1970s. So, I’m going to figure out what I have, do some research on how to use it, and start sampling the various papers. I figure anything that doesn’t produce a good print can just go in the lumen pile. I also found out that I probably need to get a different safelight filter. I’ve been using a standard red safelight for darkroom stuff, but I see that I’ve got a bunch of chloride based contact printing papers, and apparently those need a green safelight. I may need to get my hands on some of the older style chems for paper developer, too.